To wine fridge or not to wine fridge? Discover the pros and cons of owning a wine fridge, including perfectly chilled wine, protection from the elements, and organized storage, balanced against the costs of purchase, space requirements, and maintenance.
For all you wine lovers who are potentially struggling through the ridiculous economy that we are living through today and are debating if a wine fridge is worth buying, this is for YOU. I’m here to do the dirty work by researching and condensing this info to let you know whether or not it is worth the hype to buy yourself a wine fridge because to be honest, I would also love to own one myself.
First of all, the main purpose of a wine fridge is to keep your wine tasting good and not going bad even after you open it. For all you wine-loving newbies, your wine actually goes bad after 3-5 days after opening it depending on the wine you have (just saying)… Also, spoiled wine is essentially just vinegar so don’t freak out if you may have had a few “old” bottles of wine before, you’re fine. Just to reiterate though, there’s no need to chug your wine every time you open it just so absolutely none of it goes to waste.
1. Keeps your wine cool at the perfect temperature: Nothing ruins a perfectly good glass of wine like drinking it at the wrong temperature, because warm wine ain’t it. With a wine fridge, you can keep your wine perfectly chilled at 45-65 degrees Fahrenheit (7-18 degrees celsius), and you won’t have to worry about your tongue experiencing a traumatizing temperature shock.
2. Protects your wine from the elements of the crazy world we live in: Wine may be delicious, but it’s also lowkey quite sensitive. A wine fridge can help protect your wine from UV light, humidity, and vibrations, ensuring that your wine stays safe and sound and taste good of course. Plus, you won’t have to worry about your wine being subjected to the cruel whims of the sun that may make your wine lose the alcohol content in it which absolutely NONE of us want.
3. Makes wine storage easier: Have you ever tried to cram one too many bottles of wine into your fridge, only to have little to no room for actual food? With a wine fridge, you won’t have to worry about that anymore. You can store your wine in an organized, easy-to-access way, and you won’t have to worry about having to play a game of Jenga every time you want a glass of wine or come home from grocery shopping.
4. Looks fancy: Let’s be honest, owning a wine fridge is a pretty fancy thing to do. It’s like saying, “Hey, I’m a sophisticated adult who enjoys the finer things in life the right way.” And it’s definitely a great way to impress your friends.
1. Expensive: Unfortunately, owning a wine fridge can also be pretty expensive, so maybe it’s time we stop getting Starbucks every day of our lives… It’s like having a tiny, temperature-controlled butler for your wine, and butlers are not cheap to have around.
2. Takes up space: Wine fridges can be pretty big, and if you’re living in a small apartment, you might have to sacrifice some prime real estate to make room for it. You might have to say goodbye to that giant cloud couch that hardly fits in your apartment anyway.
3. Limited capacity: Depending on the size of your wine fridge, you might not be able to store all of your favorite wines if you’re a true wine-obsessive human. So maybe it will help you avoid buying a new bottle of wine you HAVE to try every time you’re out running errands every other day!
4. Maintenance: Owning a wine fridge is a bit like owning a pet. You’ll have to take care of it, clean it, and make sure it’s functioning properly. But at least with a wine fridge, you won’t have to worry about picking up any “presents” left on the floor.
In conclusion, I think investing in a wine fridge is a must for any wine connoisseur who has the cash for it. So, please don’t be that person to waste your money on a wine fridge if you can’t even afford your own Yeti cooler or Dyson Air Wrap. Not only will you be wasting money you don’t have on a wine fridge, but you also won’t be able to afford to put any wine in it for a LONG time if that’s the case. On the other hand, a wine fridge seems to be worth the hype based on all the pros I’ve listed. Plus, there are lots of different sized options out there for you based on your alcoholism, I mean WINE needs.